Don’t you miss European Food ? Once in a while someone asks me that question. I absolutely do! But during the years I’ve lived in tropical Belize I’ve learned to adjust my favorite recipes to locally available substitutes.
Actually potatoes do grow here, but due to the climate they can’t be stored long and are therefore only available for a short period of time. Imported ones are available the whole year around.. but if you know me you would know that I like my food as locally grown as it can be.
And that is how I got the idea to substitute with breadfruit! A fruit with amazing health benefits by the way.
- 1/2 middle sized breadfruit (not too ripe)
- 1 sweet pepper
- 1 small stalk of celery
- 1 small tomato
- 1/2 onion , diced
- 1 can of mixed veetables
- 1 fresh carrot, diced and steamed
- 4 hard boiled eggs
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar
- 3/4 cup of mayonnaise
- Pepper, salt, paprika to taste and a pinch of sugar
1. Chop the breadfuit into cubes and boil in saltwater (put enough salt or else it will stay tasteless)
2. Mix the mayonnaise, vinegar, and spices into a creamy sauce.
3. Add the rinsed breadfruit cubes, vegetables and boiled eggs.
4. Stir gently and decorate with egg slices, fresh cilantro and tomatoes.